This Code of Conduct is a living document, and subject to refinement and expansion in the future. Last updated May 14, 2019.
Het Nieuwe Instituut wants to reflect the creative communities it showcases and celebrates. Het Nieuwe Instituut outlines what behaviour is acceptable and unacceptable at the institute, both online and offline. Anyone who violates this Code of Conduct will be warned or asked to leave at the discretion of the staff.
1. Who it applies to
This Code of Conduct applies to all Het Nieuwe Instituut attendees. This includes speakers, facilitators, sponsors, volunteers, staff and organisers.
2. Why we have one
Het Nieuwe Instituut aims to create an intentional space all attendees can enjoy without experiencing harassment or feeling unsafe. We expect cooperation from all those involved to help ensure a safer space for everybody.
3. What does Het Nieuwe Instituut stand for
- Het Nieuwe Instituut follows the Governance Code Cultuur, Code Culturele Diversiteit and Fair Practice Code.
- The support of talent and good commissioning.
- The development and sharing of research and knowledge.
- Decolonising and inclusivity. Het Nieuwe Instituut is about ‘the new’ and therefore by default dependent on diverse voices.
- The preservation of heritage and the connection of heritage with the questions of today: no need to focus on the new without knowing what was there before. We aim to do this together with and from diverse perspectives with the goal of creating diverse narratives.
- The importance of regionalization: this ties in with our ambition to have a strong relationship with the people within and outside of Rotterdam.
4. What we ask of you
We will stimulate the following behaviours at Het Nieuwe Instituut:
Het Nieuwe Instituut asks all attendees to commit to creating safer spaces. Spaces that make the institute as accessible and comfortable as possible, and that foster compassionate innovation. Spaces where people with a diversity of experiences, backgrounds and bodies feel not only included but centred. We encourage attendees to actively work together to create spaces of compassion, empathy, sharing and learning.
We will not accept the following behaviours at Het Nieuwe Instituut:
Violence or threats of violence toward another person. Incitement of violence towards any individual. Offensive and unwelcome comments, conversations or presentations related to background, family status, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, native language, age, ability, race and/or ethnicity, national origin, socioeconomic status, religion, geographic location, any other dimension of diversity. Deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, taking pictures or recording without permission. Sustained disruption of talks or other events. Inappropriate physical or social contact or sexual attention.
Het Nieuwe Instituut prioritises marginalised people’s safety over privileged people’s comfort.
5. When the Code of Conduct is not followed
Participants asked to stop any harassing behaviour should comply immediately. If you are being harassed, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of staff immediately.
If a participant engages in harassing behaviour, the staff may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender or removal from Het Nieuwe Instituut with no refund. If you are removed, you cannot enter again.
6. Code of Conduct violations by staff
If a staff member engages in harassing behaviour, please do not hesitate to contact another member of the staff. They will take the appropriate action.
This Code of Conduct is a living document. If you think anything is missing, or could be made clearer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Thank you
This Code of Conduct borrows heavily from the Afrotech Fest Code of Conduct, which was built with resources and guidance provided by Geek Feminism, CSSConf and JSConf, the Conference Code of Conduct, and the XOXO Community Code of Conduct. Another source of inspiration for this Code of Conduct are the Mozilla Community Participation Guidelines.
Content at the links remain the sole property of content authors.